Thursday, February 9, 2017

(FBC1) My Food and I: A Bond Growing Stronger Each Day

As a young child, I am sure my family never expected me to grow up as a foodie. However, this adopted love is a natural product of my surroundings; my Nannie was a baker at our town's hospital, my Granny Watha raised 5 children and has always cooked for a large family, my dad is an amazing with a grill, and my mom has cooked dinners for our family of 6 for 18+ years. Being surrounded and raised in houses of sweet and savory smells, "foodie" is a title that was naturally adopted.
My dad is an experienced welder and created this traveling grill all by himself. We bring it on my family's camping trip each summer. Grilling at the lake is a tradition every night. He is amazing on the grill. Photo taken by Sydney Baldwin (my sister).
Food is a way for me to be creative-- I love preparing food. The process of mixing and making offers an outlet for me to express myself and feel proud in the product.
Over time, I've become an adventurous eater. I am open to trying anything! The importance of food as a gateway to each persons culture or personality never occurred to me until I moved off to college. Upon moving, I missed out on the traditional Sunday dinners at my Granny Watha's. This move showed me that "food from home" carried it's own culture and it told a story about my family and our way of life; this was the spark of my relationship with food.
Photo taken by my husband, Austin. I always cook a large meal on Monday nights. It is how we like to start the week.

I'm becoming a "Susie-homemaker" (so says my family and husband), and this new title is a product of my natural attraction to cooking, food, and sweet smells. Gathering around the table with my family and sharing meals each week carries satisfaction not hungering in your heart, but in your soul...
My sisters and I love to share a sweets-sampler at Burdett's Tea & Trading Company in Springfield, TN. It is a "girls" tradition.
To say I am a foodie is a Tiny Taste of how much I value the importance of food in my life.

I hope you have enjoyed this weeks post. Till next week--AR.

No comments:

Post a Comment